Thursday, October 23, 2008

Total Money Makeover - Update

Since I'm still awake, and obviously not going back to bed, I thought I would update everyone on my progress with becoming DEBT FREE using Dave Ramsey's philosophy and his book, The Total Money Makoever.

First, you should know that I fell off the bandwagon in August. EEEEEEKKKKKKK!!! Not good. Fortunately, I did not cause too much damage but I did use my credit cards and I bought some stupid stuff.

I've also had some recent medical issues which of course have brought in lots of medical bills and there was a family circumstance which forced me to have to get health insurance through my work, which of course brought down my take-home pay as well as force me to have to reach a new deductible in the middle of a year.

All that was a little nerve wracking. But, I've read my book, found another one by Dave Ramsey, and have continued my journey.

I am still on Baby Step 2 - the Debt Snowball. I have managed to pay down my credit cards, and lots of medical bills. The depressing thing is that if I look at how much debt I initially had and where I am now, it's not that far apart. BUT, if I look at how much I paid off, I am quite happy with myself. Quite. So I try to keep that in mind as I pay my bills every payday. And I have started to keep my bank ledger in a notebook, and every payday I write down the balances of all my debt, including medical bills, and I have noticed that this makes a huge difference. I can see things slowly dwindling away and eventually disappearing.

DH is still not on board with me. That's a little disappointing. It says a lot, about where we are but I believe that eventually we will be there. I think I have proven to him that keeping up with the Jones' is no longer an issue with me. I just hope that I can get it through to him before he drags us both into debt. Ah, one hurdle at a time.

No comments: