Friday, August 8, 2008

My Debt Snowball - Repacked

Okay, so like I said earlier, my world has been going through some transitions. Thankfully, I've made it through. DH decided that he was done with the troubles at his old job and quit. Just like that. I know that I need to be supportive of his decision, and I am, however, I really wish that he would have discussed the situation more with me. I know that it wouldn't have made his situation at work any better, however, if we had discussed it we could have planned and prepared for the situations that followed. Thankfully, he was able to find a position with a competing company and there is not as much stress as the first week of our transition. He also seems very happy at this new place, a lot calmer, not so stressed.

So now that we have started to move forward with our lives, I have had to take on the health insurance for the family, which means that I had to re-draft my budget. At first thought, I did not want to and dreaded it. However, after a little contemplation, I am now excited. This means that there is a change in my snowball rut and it allows me to review my situation, debt, and begin an attack with a new perspective.

Unfortunately, I have built up quite a stack of medical bills in recent months, trying to get an old situation diagnosed and taken cared of. I sat down at the kitchen table, called and got current balances on all of my bills, and wrote them down, smallest to largest with minimum required payment and due dates. I then took out my budget, reduced it by the new insurance deduction, and practically cried. Right now I am still paying daycare fees for two. I know it is temporary, DD starts school in a week and I am hoping that I get her into a free program available at her school. Which will free up a little over a quarter of my income AND some much needed breathing room. But like I said, my budget is actually TO THE LAST CENT. Thank goodness I have my emergency fund and a small savings (I've been hoping to start school soon). So I will be okay until DD starts school. But still, I need to figure out ways to save as much money as humanly possible AND bring more in.

I now have a new grip on my debt, and with the new transition, I know that I will be able to move a little bit faster with my snowball. Not only have I made it by paying for two in daycare, but I am now paying for insurance. I am taking this new transition in life as a lesson. I should have done this a long time ago, but I have realized that I should have been working harder on my debt. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there. Richard Feynman

No comments: