Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"I Now Pronounce You..."

Over the weekend DH and I attended the wedding of an old military friend.

I was initially hesitant to go, our own relationship has had some cloudy days and I wasn't sure how I felt about the friend and what might happen at the wedding or the reception.

Despite my doubts, I purchased a nice dress and an outfit for DS. I helped DH pick out a nice pair of slacks, shirt, and tie. We packed our stuff and headed out to the coast.

We were surprised to find out that the wedding truly was on the beach, we had kind of tossed around the idea that maybe it was at some sort of gazebo off of the beach, but no, it was there, in the sand, a few feet from the water with the tide creeping in every second.

We met with old acquaintances and friends, some handshakes reminding of the bond we share from our military days, some just simple "civilian" handshakes, a gesture of assimilation but lacking emotion or character. (If you have ever served, you know what I mean.)

The ceremony was nice - a statement was made, vows were said, a prayer for the new couple and their future, and the introduction. Lots of laughing, lots of cheers.

The reception was at a great spanish-style restaurant. Good food and good company. I enjoyed myself and my family, minus my DD unfortunately.

To Rocio and Jaime - may you learn to grow together as individuals that make a great team. May you fight through the darkest moments and slowly cherish each and every breath, no matter how heated. Time passes incredibly quickly and if you never stop to look back, you will never know where you came from. Congratulations.

No comments: