Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We Almost Made It

Okay, so our Two Week Grocery Experiment almost worked. Almost. It was Thursday when we had to buy more milk. Only because DH kept giving DS full cups of milk before bed, not understanding the concept that DS only drinks half a cup. So by morning, there always was a half cup of curdled milk left over. (*GROSS*) And DD did not help. She poured a full bowl of milk into her cereal almost every day, she doesn't even like milk. So, it almost worked.

I tried again on Sunday. Went through the pantry and the coupons, spent $130.00 at Costco, mostly on meat and a few things for DD's lunch since she is going to the art program and then daycare, totally missing the lunch hour (and free lunch). But, DH, who is so resistant to the couponing and budgeting, bought groceries on Thursday. And he filled the gas tank. Which was nice. So, I guess it doesn't really count. Will have to see how it goes. But, we are already done with 3/4 of one loaf of bread, which he insisted buying at Albertson's. And it's barely Tuesday.

Obviously I have some bugs to work out. I have to figure out how to get this to work for my family. I know I will have to buy at least another gallon of milk, possibly even two. And the Costco bread lasts longer, but three loaves would be great rather than just two. And fruit, fruit and veggies are a little bit harder to work with, considering they go bad quickly. My DM did send us those Green Bags, which do seem to work and make our stuff last way longer than before. But still. I don't know if the stuff will last two weeks. A little apprehensive to try.

Ah, well, it can't hurt to try again. That's why it's an experiment, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girly, it is your SU demonstrator! I shop regularly at the Sara Lee bread store on District just west of Stine. I get loaves of bread for $.99 and they are buy one get one free frequently. I spend less on bread going their than at Costco- just thought you might want to check it out. I try to spend around $200 a month on groceries, but having a 1 and 3 year old, we go thru milk like crazy!!!