Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Death and Resurrection of My Laptop.

I finally got my laptop back on Friday. After having it dead/gone for almost four weeks. Granted, I've been using DH's laptop but it just hasn't been the same. My links aren't there, my pictures, my music, my stuff. I am so glad to have it back, however, I now have to reload it with my life up to a month ago.

I use my laptop on a daily basis. I do my little surveys for extra cash, I print my pictures, I listen to music, I print my coupons, everything. So when it started acting funny, I got really nervous. I cleaned out the drive, cleared out the memory, you know, the standard stuff any basic computer user knows to do.

And then, on a Thursday evening, IT DIED!! Just like that, it wouldn't turn on and cooperate with me. So typical. Because I was supposed to post some of my stuff for sale on eBay. And two items that I was selling at the time were ending soon and I needed to print out the postage for them. Plus, (Freak Out Moment!!) I couldn't remember if the laptop was covered under warranty.

So on Friday I spent all of my free time on the phone. After trying a few different phone numbers, a lot of "For Help, please press __" (way too many in my opinion), I finally got to a human who advised that I had Full Coverage (in other words: In Case Kid Gets It) until 2011. YES!!! Finally, my excessive worrying has paid off. But, the warranty guy said I needed to back up my stuff before sending it off, they can't guarantee that they can save my data. FREAK OUT!! Once again, I scramble through the phone book, make a few more calls (mind you, I'm supposed to be WORKING) and find a local place that will back up my hard drive and diagnose my broken friend.

On my lunch hour, I drive like a maniac to the location and drop off my laptop. Tuesday they call and tell me $120.00 for 9 DVDs of information ("ma'am, you have a lot of pictures and music" - REALLY?!?!?!) and the only thing that they can find that's wrong is the MOTHERBOARD. I go pick up my laptop with DH, who feels the need to lecture me on the fact that I need to back up my data on a regular basis, I should probably buy one of those external hard drives. "I SHOULD PROBABLY PULL OVER AND LET YOU OUT" was all that was going through my head. We have been discussing purchasing an external hard drive for MONTHS. Since Christmas. I even sent him to Best Buy two months ago with the understanding that he would purchase the hard drive with a few dollars from my savings...instead he came back with a new game and the "necessary accessories" for the Wii. Obviously, we never purchased one.

The warranty place sent me a box to send off my laptop and I carefully laid my broken laptop inside. Sadly. The warranty guy said it would take ten business days to get it back. Ten business days. That's Monday through Friday only. Oh wait, one of those weekdays turned out to be a holiday. SAD FACE!!

Finally, this past Wednesday, I received a notice on the door that DHL had stopped by and would not leave the package without a signature. I promptly called the 888 number on the tag to discover that I had to call during "business hours". Thursday morning, while taking DD to art class, I called DHL again, advised the customer service person WHO OBVIOUSLY HAD BETTER THINGS TO DO of my work address and confirmed that my laptop would be delivered that same day. I waited all day, as patiently as possible. I even stayed late. But nothing. No laptop. I had to go home empty handed.

By the time I got home, there was a message from DHL Customer Service letting me know that they had attempted delivery, however, no suite number was given and they could not deliver. Funny, I remember telling them the floor number, however, CUSTOMER SERVICE LADY WITH BETTER THINGS TO DO apparently FORGOT to add that on my change of address request.

On Friday morning, again while traveling with DD to art class, I called DHL again and advised them of the floor number.

I had my laptop before noon.

So, here I am, Sunday morning. Nine DVDs in front of me, including the Sunday paper and my second (no, wait, third??) cup of coffee, loading my life back on to my friend. It is taking a little longer than it should, I keep running into pictures of the kids from when they were smaller...you know, the Mama Memories are coming out in a huge explosion rather than the typical trickle. The cute pictures. The one of DS when he was sitting in the bath tub with the bubble mohawk. The one of DD showing me that yes, she could put her foot in her mouth. The one where DH and I are laughing so hard our eyes are shut tight and you can probably see our tonsils.

Today will be for reflection and thanks. I will go and buy an external hard drive on Saturday. I have been putting aside money since this whole fiasco to do it. I am thankful that I have the means to do so. And I am thankful that my pictures are all safe. I will look at my children today, with dirt all over their clothes from helping Daddy in the yard, and remember that each moment with them is Precious. And I will have my camera, taking pictures to save to the new external hard drive. And of course, I am thankful to the little voice in my head that said to buy the Full Coverage Warranty. I have my friend back, good as new.

No comments: